Wednesday, 12 October 2016

Can My Child, Sibling, Parent, or In-laws Get Me a Visa to Live in Peru?

Image Source
***Be sure you ask at immigrations about your visa as rules and fees seem to change often. You now need an appointment in order to go to immigration. Make the "derecho de tramite" payment in order to schedule your appointment right away.***

I've been asked a handful of times about the family visa option. Since this is a family visa, someone in your family can sponsor you. Who they consider family might vary from immigration officer to immigration officer and you might need to get a lawyer to help you with complicated cases. Below you can find out who can get this visa and who might be able to get this visa. If you think you qualify, you can find out what documents you need in this post or by contacting migraciones.

You can get this visa if you are . . .

  • An underaged child of a Peruvian citizen (if the child isn't Peruvian) or immigrant
  • Married to a Peruvian or immigrant
You might also be able to get the visa if you are . . . 
  • A parent of a Peruvian child (whether they are a minor or of age) or immigrant
  • A parent of a Peruvian child and the child has special needs
  • A sibling of a Peruvian citizen or immigrant
  • In-laws of a Peruvian citizen or immigrant
  • An adult child of a Peruvian citizen or immigrant
Family might be your children, your siblings, your parents, or your in-laws. The issue is that they should be able to support you. Since children born in Peru can get citizenship via jus soli (meaning that anyone born on Peruvian soil can become Peruvians), children might be able to sponsor their parents. However, this doesn't mean that your infant can sponsor you. In most cases, the person must be financially stable (an example of an exception would be a child with special needs). If your child is a minor who earns money, for example, an actor than that would be a different story. A child who is of age and had a job should also be able to sponsor their parents. When in doubt, contact a lawyer or migraciones.

The Ultimate Peru List recommends:

Monday, 12 September 2016

Getting Married in Peru After a Divorce

Some people have emailed me and asked how to get married in Peru after a divorce, whether it be a divorce in Peru or a foreign divorce. First things first, make sure your divorce is final.
While second marriages are becoming more common there are 3 reasons why Peruvians prefer not to get married. If you decide that marriage might be right for you, there are some things you should think carefully about before marrying a Peruvian.

Waiting Periods and Pregnancy Tests
With all that being said getting married in Peru after a divorce is fairly simple. Some people have asked about waiting periods and the answer is that it depends on the municipality that you get married in. Some have waiting periods and some don't, so ask around. If you're a woman, foreign or Peruvian, you will have to undergo a pregnancy test if you get re-married within a year of your divorce. If found to be pregnant a DNA test will probably be requested to find out who the father is.

Paperwork Needed
All the information about getting married in Peru can be found here. There is a section that talks specifically about how to get married if you're divorced. You'll find information about how long it takes, what documents you need, name changes, spousal visas, CEs, and more on that blog post. Paperwork can be daunting, but once you're done you can register your Peruvian marriage back home. Congrats! Be sure to enjoy your time together and tell each other how much you love and appreciate each other every day.

The Ultimate Peru List recommends:

FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy